Monday, February 25, 2008

No More Trips To Best Buy For New Music Tuesday...

Good afternoon.......I love music...I really do but music is terrible these days. Its gotten so bad, that I rather listen to ESPN analyst, Stephen A. Smith podcast every morning, than listen to Sean Kingston, Fergie, or Beyonce for the umpteenth time (even though I always love that Until The End of Time Remix with JT).

I am grateful for my Ipod; it allows me to go back to when music was good: Marvin Gaye, Stevie, or anything from the 70's Motown era, Teddy Pendergrass, Patti Labelle, Chaka with Rufus, or MJ when he had some skin tone. Fast forward a little bit and I love to reminisce on those 80-90's artists that ruled the airwaves: Guy, Teddy Riley and the New Jack movement, Keith Sweat, R. Kelly (pre sex tape), Whitney Houston (pre-crack), Prince, Boyz II Men, when Babyface's songwriting skills ruled the radio, Mint Condition, and all of those damn Neo Artists who are missing in action: D, Erkyah Badu (album next week?), Jaguar Wright, Bilal, Musiq. I can go on but I won't....I will just wait for a few hours, plug in my Itrip FM transmitter, and just kick back to when times were good, while my radio, and 6 disc changer gets no more love from me....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must agree. Without my mp3 player I'd be lost in the eternal hell that I call popular garbage. It seems to be a trend that is taking over ALL TYPES of music. I remember a day when I could turn on the radio and if I didn't like what was being played on the hip hop/ urban station I could flip to the AC(adult contemporary) and rock out. Now all the stations excluding classical and country are playing the same 5 songs 30 times a day and you're likely to change away from one song only to find it's just started on the next station you come to. A curse upon all of their houses- the label heads, the so called artists, the idiots that pick the singles, the radio program directors, and the djs. They all could use a dose of reality, but that'll never happen as long as the listeners at large refuse to stop being sheep. And that's all I have to say about that... for the next 15 minutes anyway.
Peace
Meko

QuietStorm said...

Well..despite your recommendations..I still refuse to get w/ the times and get an Ipod. I just luv me sum CD's what can I say. But I have to rely on my good ol disks bcuz the radio SUCKS. ALL STATIONS! I thought maybe my city's stations are just horrid..but when I travel I still experience the same discontent. Especially with Top 40 stations. I mean...how many times do I have to hear low low low low low low low...or No One by Alicia..there are other songs on her album peeeoopplleee!!!! The only time I am forced to listen to radio is when I'm in sum1 else's car.

The only time I enjoy the radio stations is at nite on the weekends..when they let local hip hop DJ's do their mixtapes..thats when they good hip hop, reggae, & R&B gets played. I can have the club rite in my own house lol;) Other than that..I'll stick w/ my CD's.

And please...I think the last album I bought was Jagged Edge's and b4 that I cant even remember. I need Maxwell..Tyrese..Toni B..sum1 to release a good soul album. But I will be gettin Day 26's next month..they are really impressing me..Diddy is def lettin these boys do their thang!