Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Generic Communication...Got To Love Them...Right?

For my people 30 years and older, do you remember the TV Show, "Small Wonder"? (http://www.tv.com/small-wonder/show/1711/summary.html) Well, the main character of the show, Vicki, comes to mind as I write this blog entry. For those who remember, she was a robot, and talked like one, with short, choppy, sentences. Vicki is the personification of what I am getting from some of my friends these days with generic communications and I must speak on it....lol

Ladies and Gentleman, today we are spoiled with communication methods. Just a few years ago, you had 3 choices, risking being cursed out by your parents for hogging up the house phone, paying 25 cents to use the pay phone(yes, I said payphones), or doing it the old-fashioned way with a stamp and letter. Today, the options are endless: cell phone, cell phone text message, Blackberry, email, lotus notes, and the options go on and on. I say all of this to say, take things back to the old school and take the time to write something of substance.(throwing a friendly hint to a dear friend...:)

Before you curse me out, I understand the KISS method of keeping things short, simple and to the point. But this rule does not apply to your friends (especially ones you have known all of your life :)) I don't know about you, but I want to know what's going on with you....if I write you an email, I want a little more than, "imitating Vicki from Small Wonder", "Hello, how...are...you...doing? I...am...doing...fine...how....has...your...day...been?" No, no, nooooooo!! Give your brother some love and substance! That's all I ask for.

This is dedicated to a dear friend, just trying to give her a hard time. But on a serious note, we are all busy folk, but if someone takes the time reach out, please...please...no generic communication. Ok? Thank you :)

Coming up: William "Flavor Flav" Drayton....How Is He Doing It????

No comments: